Some of my favourite photos

Wednesday 29 October 2014

First visit to Otmoor

Finally me and my family visited Otmoor to see the Starlings do their murmuration.
I didn't know what to expect of Otmoor because this was my first time going.
As soon as I stepped out, I knew that this place was full of wildlife because the air was full of different types of birds calling. 

We headed down towards the hides but stoped half way to watch the birds on the birdfeeders, there were Goldfinches, Chaffinch, Blue tits, Great tits as well as a Robin
Just before the first hide a small rodent started to squeak in the reedbed.
As we came into the hide a large group of about 20 Lapwings came down to the side of wetland as well as many different types of ducks.

After leaving the hide many waves of about 150 starlings flew straight over our heads followed by  little groups of about 10 flying behind. We decided to follow where they were going.
Upon reaching the hide overlooking the reedbeds, I grabbed a seat. Shortly afterwards the Starlings did a mini murmuration that I caught on a short video. 

After the Starlings had settled down and were just flapping about, lots of other wildlife came out such as a Kingfisher, Muntjac and a Heron.

On the way back to the car, it was getting quite dark, a brown owl flew out right in front of us and then went behind the trees before I could get my cameras out to take a photo.  
Bats were flying around the trees and many owls could be heard.

I really enjoyed visiting Otmoor, even through the Starlings didn't do a great murmuration, they settled quite quickly. Everybody we meet in the hides and along the paths were very friendly and there was a great deal to look at.
I can't wait to go back again.






(Sorry about the talking there was a family behind me)





No comments:

Post a Comment